Thursday, October 11, 2007

Final First Lines Assignment #5

Since I'm going to re-write my entire story because it is horribly pathetic, I'm going to write down 5 new first lines to my new story.

1) The smoke thickened as the fire from the car's engine began to burn brighter.
2) He slammed on the breaks trying his best to avoid the stalled car.
3) The sun was beginning to fade as the night sky slowly crept over the horizon.
4) He was always in a hurry. It seemed as though he always arrived late and it was impossible for him to make it anywhere on time.
5) It was awfully quiet for rush hour, however, the sky was dominated by the black of night creating such thoughts of uncertantity and bliss. It was ironic, although, to finally have an easy drive home was surley a nice change of pace.

3 comments:

Katie said...

My favorite opener is the third one. It creates a vivid image and you get a sense of suspense and intrigue with the use of the word "crept." I want to read on!

Dreese said...

It really depends on the rest of your story. But seeing the openings blind, i like your fourth one. It reveals alot about the character.

Grace said...

I enjoy both opener 3 and 5. I think the lines about darkness kind of give it a setting but at the same time there aren't enough details to give anything away just yet. It's a good opener because it makes me want to know more.